Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sweet Potatoes, Salads, and Life

What do these three things have in common? For most people probably nothing. But for this lonely blog writer it seems my life is always being mixed up into a salad. Right now I live in limbo not knowing where and if we are going to move again to yet another state because of a job transfer. With jobs as tight as they are it is better to move with what you got then to suffer the consequences. My bookshelves are packed, my cabinets are emptied. I have sorted through all the things I no longer need yet again and still can't believe that I have four boxes and 7 bags to give to anyone who wants to sell them at their yard sale.

How does the sweet potato fit in? I am the sweet potato. I feel as if I have been peeled, mashed, roasted, whipped, and even shredded at times just like that lowly potato. But just like that sweet potato I have more taste and more forgiveness, I give back more in return than is given to me. Just baking a sweet potato in the oven gives the whole house an aroma of Thanksgiving and helps me to remember all the blessings I have been given. The art is remembering those blessings everyday.

One of those blessings is my love of cooking, and the talent I have been given to adapt recipes and invent new ones that are compatible with the food allergies of my home. It is a skill and a talent to invent recipes that are pleasant to the eye and palate, and be as nutritious as it can be. So it is with the Sweet Potato Picnic Salad. The colors burst out and ignite our passion to enjoy the flavors of this unique melange of  orange, yellow, red, green and white.


This is what you will need for the Sweet Potato Picnic Salad


Start by scrubbing and dicing the sweet potato shin on. Steam sweet potato in vegetable steamer with about 1-inch of water. Water should not be touching the bottom of the steamer. Steam for 5 - minutes until just fork tender. 





Dice the mango, onion, red pepper, and avocado. 




Mix in kidney or red beans, pumpkin seeds, vinegar, flax oil, cilantro, and salt to taste.Refrigerate 1 hour and enjoy. 


Sweet Potato Picnic Salad

Serves 6

1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed, and diced
1/2 large mango, peeled and diced
1 small or 1/2 large onion, diced
1 red pepper seeded and diced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
2 cups cooked red beans or 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
2 Tablespoons peach balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons flax oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup snipped cilantro (I always add a bit more, I could live on this herb)

Steam sweet potato in vegetable steamer with about 1 inch of water. Water should not touch the bottom of the steamer. Steam for 5-8 minutes until just fork tender.

Mix together with remaining salad ingredients. Refrigerate one hour to meld the flavors. Makes a great salsa for your favorite chips or a side salad. It can also be stuffed into a whole grain pita for a quick, light lunch. 

Nutrition per serving
Calories:        251.8; Total Fat: 11.3 g; Sat Fat: 1.6 g; Poly Fat: 5.2 g; Mono Fat: 3.9 g; Cholesterol: 0.0 mg; Sodium: 410.6 mg; Potassium: 655.4 mg; Carbs: 31.9 g; Fiber:  10.9 g; Sugars: 7.8 g; Protein: 6.9 g






No comments:

Post a Comment