Friday, August 20, 2010

Barbecue Chicken Salad

I love when I can meld two flavors into a whole new culinary creation. In making this salad, I took my love of salad and my husband's love of barbecue chicken and came up with one of the best salads I have made in a long time. I also was intrigued by what to use as the base for the dressing, so I used the barbecue sauce that the chicken cooked in for the base of the dressing. I wish I could have posted a picture but my husband ate it before I could snap a picture of it. We both loved it so much there weren't any leftovers. I guess I will have to make this one again. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.

Barbecue Chicken Salad
Suppose to serve 4

Barbecue Chicken

2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 bottle Stubbs Barbecue sauce or barbecue sauce of choice (I use Stubb's because it is gluten free and does not have high fructose corn syrup in it)

Place both in a 4-qt crock pot. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. When chicken is done cooking, remove chicken from sauce and shred.

Salad

1 large bunch lettuce (Romaine, green leaf, or red leaf), chopped
1 bunch baby bok choy, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Mix together in large salad bowl.

Barbecue Dressing

1/2 cup heated barbecue sauce from crock pot
2 T lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon tarragon
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Whirl in blender or food processor until smooth.

To plate: Divide salad mixture on four plates. Sprinkle evenly with shredded chicken. Pour on Barbecue Dressing. (If you want leftovers you may want to make a double batch of this.)

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment