Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mayo-Free Tuna or Egg Salad

As a child, I use to love mayo and Miracle Whip. When there really wasn't anything to eat in the house I would slather on the stuff on a piece of bread and eat it. I use to love it in salads on things too, like fried chicken, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes to name just a few. Now, I cannot eat it at all. I don't even like foods that have mayo or Miracle Whip in them, potato salad, tuna salad or egg salad. Now I look at Miracle Whip as something that came out of a test tube in a lab and it is a miracle it can be called food.

I tried my hand at making my own mayo, and that it when my detesting of mayo came into effect. It was when I mixed the vinegar with the egg and oil that it didn't look like a food I wanted to eat anymore. The whole mixture went into the garbage and I have been trying other techniques to come up with an alternative to mayo or the whip of miracles. I stumbled upon this technique by accident when making a sour cream alternative for my dairy allergy.

Avocados were the answer and can be substituted with mangoes for a different flavor all together. If you are like me, you will love these salads they are as creamy as their mayo originals that you will not miss the mayo. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Mayo Free Tuna or Salad

2 cans of tuna, rinsed and drained or 6 hard boiled eggs, shells removed, diced small
1 small sweet onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 red or yellow pepper, seeded and diced small
2 green onion tops only, sliced

Mix together and set aside.


2 avocados or mangoes, peeled and chopped
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano or dill weed
2 T extra virgin olive oil

Whirl together in food processor until smooth and creamy.

Using 2 heaping tablespoons begin mixing it into the salad mixture to your desired creaminess. Spread on sandwiches or eat as a salad.

The mango version complements the egg salad well. The avocado version will be green just something you'll have to adjust to.

No comments:

Post a Comment