Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vegan Mexican Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette

We all like to get praises for what we do and what we make. We are taught by many psychologists that people produce more when they are praised. That is the case of this salad. When making up recipes I pretend that my food is going to be judged by my favorite chef, which changes from week to week. I read about how these chefs create their own recipes, and how they became chefs. My favorite chefs lately are Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver, Rachael Ray, Giada De Laurentiis, Alton Brown, Michael Chiarello, Rick Bayless, and Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I love the way each of these chefs make good, healthy nutritious food easy for all. When I was playing with the idea for a cilantro vinaigrette I looked at other vinaigrettes that used cilantro but only in 2 tablespoon increments with a whole host of other flavors taking the center stage. I wanted the cilantro to stand alone as the only flavor that is tasted and supported by the costarring ingredients.

For this salad I imagined Rick Bayless was the judge. I am not so sure what he would say but my husband and my friends thought it was wonderful. This recipe makes enough to serve 8 comfortably. Plus if you serve it with grilled corn tortillas it will really fill you up, you won't even miss the animal protein.

Vegan Mexican Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
Serves 8

Salad:
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can mild green chillies, diced
1 1/2 cups fresh corn
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 avocados, thinly sliced and soaked in a little lime juice for 5 minutes
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/4 cup black olives, sliced

Mix together in large salad bowl and set aside.

Cilantro Vinaigrette

1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper flakes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until blended and smooth. Pour over salad and toss gently. Serve with grilled corn tortillas.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment